Sunday 9 January 2011

Homemade Port Mincemeat-October Christmas count down begin with apple picking

I am not particularly fond of candy peel in any my Christmas food. My solution was to make my own as I like it. This recipe is my mish mash of my ideas, Delia Smith's Homemade Christmas Mincemeat and Prima Magazine November 2001 Mincemeat recipes. My friends place an order early now each year for a jar.

1lb Cooking apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
8oz veggie suet
12oz raisins
8oz sultanas
8oz currants
4oz glace cherries chopped
4oz dried cranberries or blueberris or mix of both
zest of 2 oranges
zest of 2 lemons
4tsp mixed spice
Grated Nutmeg
6tblsp Port
4tblsp Black Treacle
8oz Dark Brown Sugar

In a bowl mix all the ingredients. The place in an oven at 100oC for 2-3hrs, until all suet and sugar melted. Stir and coat all the fruit in the suet and sugar, spoon into large sterilised jars. Seal with lids.

To make non-alcholic version replace Port with apple juice, this is equally delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment